Blog post #2

Class reflection: Thinking back to class that we had a week ago is a little bit dim in the old brain if I'm being honest because EVERY class was new last week, however, I will do my best with recollection. We had three different readings about libraries and that is where I got excited from the start to say the least. Whenever I have talked about libraries in the past with my friends or somebody passing by, they would always give me an odd look because the library is not something most people my age are excited to talk about. So, when I arrived in class and libraries were all that we were talking about, I was stoked. We had three different readings, all of which were interesting. I took away the most from the Zingerman's book and how servant leadership is important with staff and not only with patrons/customers.
In the readings for 9/11's class, we read about how libraries are a constantly changing environment for many different reasons and how we as librarians can keep up with change. We also read the codes of conduct that are put into place by the American Library Association. One of the most interesting things that I read this week was about how, globally, the distribution of information is so vastly different in other parts of the world. Having access at all to information for school or work is important and something that American's take for granted. Whenever I read about statistics of a third world country with colleges not having access to basic things that I have hear it always takes me a minute to process. We also got the chance to learn about Reverend Bentley which turned out to be a really interesting historical viewpoint on why libraries exist in the first place!
In some of the final chapters as well as the readings from the ALA pages, some of the things that stood out to me were as follows: "The history of the information profession is... by the need to adapt to change." (hirsch, 27). This is something that I am constantly hearing from my parents and adults, asking me why I'm going into this profession when its a dying field. Everything changes and I believe that libraries are one of the most adaptable things out there. Another interesting tidbit is all of the need that a library, especially a public one, provides information for such as the needs of the youth, people researching and people with disabilities. On a final note, in one of the articles from the ALA a sentence that stuck out to me was this: the libraries values are in conflict and this is something that needs to be addressed.

Jobs: The first job I printed off is an entry level job that requires a masters degree but is only part time (not ideal). It is also not in the youth section of a library which is where I want to be employed. The 'dream job' per say, that I found pays a rather large sum of money, has full benefits, and I would also be leading members of the staff in their jobs which is something I do want to participate in in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #6

Blog post #1 643 INTRO!!

Blog post 2; remote class