Blog Post #7

Well, unfortunately I had to miss class once again due to sickness and not wanting to spread nasty germs around. The main focus of this class was to present our team made lib guides. Since I was not there to present, I recorded myself doing a little presentation of my own for the media portion of our youth resources lib guide. In that, I talked about our three different sections of media: Non fiction and fictional book recommendations and youtubers who have influenced the gay community. Finding book recommendations for gay teenagers is really easy since the GenZ generation is so open with their sexuality and some specific books stood out, such as Simon vs. The Homosapien Agenda and other books that have been made into movies. I also discussed how the non-fiction book selection (specifically on addressing educational topics) were very slim. We were able to choose some book selections by already well-known public speakers, such as Ash Hardell, and integrate those into our book recommendations. Finally, the last tab in our media portion of the lib guide was for educational youtubers. There are many you tubers out in the world that have published coming out videos but once again we wanted to have an educational viewpoint for this guide, so we chose specific channels dedicated to teaching the public rather than telling them about personal life experiences. 


I thought that this portion of our lib guide was definitely one of the strongest because it made Steph, Justin and I look past the natural resources that we might gravitate towards when searching about the gay community. We were forced to think about what a younger generation wants and how they communicate thoughts and feelings to adults, and one of those ways is through books and youtube… an odd combination but  a true one. Youtube is a great platform for young people and it has really made its own name among people who have something important that they want to say. Teens, I believe, really look up to YouTuber's, so having their icons talking about important topics and teaching them is something that can definitely be overlooked but I believe is being changed. 

Comments

  1. I loved your little recording - it was great to hear your thoughts on and explanations for the guide even though you couldn't be in class. Thanks for being considerate of germs and I hope you're feeling better :')

    And you've made a nice point here about being "forced to think about" what an audience wants. Since we, as librarians, will know so much about our library systems and information searching, it can be too easy to fall into assumptions and patterns of thinking that may not apply to everyone else. Looking at things from other perspectives, considering the way that the target audience learns from and responds to the world, considering what things they value: these are all necessary components of creating successful resource guides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all thought that your recording was amazing! Way more dedication than I usually have when I'm sick :) I also appreciate your insights on YouTube. In my educational technology class, we talked about which tools are popular amongst The Youth These Days, and YouTube was at the top for every age group. I don't use YouTube for the social component, so I was surprised to learn that it's an important platform for a lot of kids! I liked that you incorporated the videos of YouTubers into your LibGuide...it showed that you were really attuned to your user population.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #6

Blog post #1 643 INTRO!!

Blog post 2; remote class