Blog post #1 643 INTRO!!

Hello!
 My name is Stacia (Stay-Sha) and people think I'm weird for wanting to be a librarian. I attended Siena Heights University for the last four years and worked behind the desk in the library during that time (warmly being known as 'that library girl'). Everyone thought I was going to become a famous singer or go save the world full time, not only during the summer, but alas, the joke's on them. I've been learning that I love kiddo's in any age group so I decided to mix a couple of my passions into a job which was handily already made up; Youth Services Librarian.


For the past two years I have run youth mission trips in Joplin, Missouri and Lorain County, Ohio. These moments have changed me greatly but they have also opened up a vast doorway of possibility and learning. I have met beautiful friends and people I now call family but I have also had the task of understanding that people (namely people ages 12-20) have different learning styles, something I am excited and proud to dive into with this graduate degree as well as when I work in my own library some day. My goal for the future is to open a safe youth space in an impoverished community so that teens (mostly) will want to integrate into the library again because learning is FUN! I am so excited and highly blessed to see where these next two years will lead!

Comments

  1. I think it's great that you figured out how to meld the things you love together into a sustainable career! That was sort of how I at least narrowed the scope to librarianism, but have yet to render that image too much further. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacia! A good friend of mine is also studying to be a Youth Services Librarian in Denver, CO. I don't know much about her goals, but you both seem to have the same drive to help youth get excited about learning and reading.

    I think it's really incredible that you already have such passion and drive to pursue this career and the goals you've set. I really admire that.

    And I also worked in my undergrad library (for 3 years) and really loved the experience, though I mostly worked at night so I didn't become as well known to my patrons as you were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacia, your sunny demeanor always brightens my day, and your passion for enriching the lives and education of youth is ever present. I look forward to what you can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #6

Blog post 2; remote class